Sunday, September 23, 2007

2 weeks in...


Friday consisted of studying, eating, and trying to get Blanca (my Señora’s granddaughter) to take my language exam for me. She laughed – pretty much meaning hell no, I just got home from school so I’m going to go play with my friends. The test wasn’t took bad – at least I didn’t think it was – and since we got out early, a few of us went over to Chueca, a part of Madrid, for some tapas at El Tigre. El Tigre is an amazing place – 2 cañas of beer and a pretty large plate of tapas for only 3 euro. (and my brother called!!!) After El Tigre, Mat, John and I went over to Al Campo and we found PEANUT BUTTER!!!! So, after Mat ate some McDonald’s, the three of us made some classic PB & J’s… it was amazing! After Al Campo, we went home, ate, and got ready for the night. The five of us started the night in true style – a trip to the park – and then met up in Sol with some of the others, which consisted of having a few beers in Burger King. Yes, you can buy beer at Burger King. Afterwards, we went to Dreams, danced, and afterwards ate some pizza in the street… followed by churros!!! There were about 10 of us with some serious munchies… we did some number.

Saturday was flat out overwhelming. I woke up around 1pm in anticipation for the guests that we were having over for lunch. Con una pequeña resaca, I entered an intense situation that I was in no state to handle – Angelines and 8 other members of her family all speaking Spanish at a pace I could not even begin to comprehend. When they realized they were speaking so fast, they would slow down for me to understand but it would just happen again. With all this going on, I was a little discouraged and overwhelmed. After they all left, Mat, John and I went to the Retiro to relax since it was a beautiful day. Then as usual, dinner with my Señora and going out. However, last night was Madrid: la noche en blano, where there was art in the street, museums were open until about 3am and people were just out partying all night. Some people went out clubbing, but Alison and I met up with 3 other people from BC and we walked all around Madrid. It was really nice to see Madrid in a different light.

Sunday morning, I woke up real early and confused my Señora… I don’t think she’s even seen me up before 9:30am, especially on a weekend. I went to mass and then took a walking tour of Madrid with Ana, our BC advisor. We walked through the Retiro, where there was a concert y un pájaro hizo caca en mi brazo, por la Puerta de Alcala, la plaza de Cibeles y el Paseo de Prado. Después, volví a mi casa, comí con mi señora y a las 5:50pm, después de una conversación con mis padres, fui a los toros con los otros estudiantes de BC. I only stayed for 3 bulls because I could not handle much more. A few other people left so a bunch of us went out for tapas… I waited for my señora’s amazing cooking!!!

2 weeks in… I’m pretty settled but that will change once classes start. Tomorrow, I pick classes that seem interesting and then next week, I go and “try them out”. But….. ITALY on WEDNESDAY!!! I can’t wait!!

2 comments:

Albertinho said...

You must be in Italy now!! I hope you have lots of fun and when u get back to Madrid start planning your first trip to Barcelona! Yoohoo!!!

Jess said...

no no.. no trip to Barcelona without me! Not allowed ; ) haha